Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Couch that Comforts..

Earlier this week, I came down with a cold...and not just any cold but a doozy! Is that how you spell doozy? Anyways, I am a pretty tough cookie who rarely gets sick and when I do, it hits hard! Last Sunday afternoon I was at work and we were hosting our annual Howloween party. 80 dogs showed in costume and all the proceeds went to the Humane Society. While I was admiring how my fierce diva dog (who dislikes almost everyone on the face of the earth) was all of a sudden in the middle of a circle of dogs letting people pet her (this is a MIRACLE in and of itself - those of you who know Chelie, you know what I'm talking about), I was also sneezing. I felt fine but couldn't stop sneezing. I passed it off as maybe I was allergic to the haybails we brought in for the event. By the time I got home, I realized it might be more. And boy, was it ever!
Monday morning I woke up and made my way to my couch. Other than having to find the energy to let my dog out, my couch was my best friend that day from 8:00am until almost midnight. I was thankful that I was off work. Tuesday came and even though I made it out to golf I spent the rest of the day recovering...on my couch. Wednesday I made it into work only to have to turn around and head out after a half day...and then I found my way back...to my couch.
Do you have a couch like that? That no matter how awful you feel or how bad your day is, it brings you a sense of comfort. Now don't for a moment think I am trying to overspiritualize what I am about to say as I relay needing to fall back on the Lord for our comfort - our peace. I don't view my stationary inanimate couch as anything comparable to a loving Savior who died to save a wretch like me. But at times when I am sick, hurting, or things just don't make sense, that I can turn to my Savior is my comfort. He is always there and he will never leave me or forsake me. I may have to face several troubles I don't understand, but I choose to face them in faith with Him leading me.
I'm thankful tonight that I feel about 90-95% better. I don't sound like a freight train when I try to breathe nor do I cause people to turn the other way when they simply hear the sound of my voice. It's true I could have easily sang baritone the other night at choir but think the way that I feel I will gladly be an alto at tomorrow night's choir concert.
I'm thankful the Lord decided to let my health return and I'm thankful for my couch of comfort but even more, the comfort of my loving Father!

No comments: